Friday, August 31, 2007

David Lebovitz's Chocolate Coconut Sherbet


I will have to admit that I was a bit wary about the whole "this doesn't have dairy" vibe that this recipe was giving off. I was worried it would be an icy, watery consistency, giving way to what I call, "chocolate water flavor..." (Think chocolate milk, and substitute water for the milk. Got it? Ick.)

I was gloriously wrong. This sherbet is what the Hope Diamond would be like if you could freeze it, add chocolate to it, and eat it with a spoon. It is velvety, dark, and dare I say - naughty. It whispers coconutty sonnets to you.

If you have the patience to wait long enough for it to ripen for a day, by all means do so (Elizabeth couldn't wait, as evidenced by her soft-servishness cone above.)

By all means, get thee an ice cream maker and whip some of this up.


David, you're a genius.

(You can procure the recipe from http://www.chow.com, or pick up a copy of The Perfect Scoop, David's new book.)

No comments: