Tuesday, August 21, 2007

So this is tofu.

I must say that I'm rather impressed by my first foray into "plain" tofu. Of course, I've had tofu IN other things, but the only way I've really had it on a stand-out basis was in the hot-and-sour soup from my local Chinese take-out.

I had a real hankering for my aunt Anna's chicken cutlets. Conveniently, I had the breadcrumbs from her recipe in my freezer, but no chicken. Nor did I feel like going to the market to purchase chicken and wait until it thawed, pound it to annoying thinness, and fry away.

I did have a package of extra-firm tofu. I sliced it up, killed a few trees by the embarrassing amount of paper towels that I used to press the excess moisture from them, dipped them in beaten egg, breaded them, and pan-fried them.

Of course, the perfect condiment for cutlets (other than homemade marinara) is hot pepper jelly. They came out crispy and delicious! Not unlike a chicken cutlet (and really, we eat the cutlets for the breading anyway.) They had a very tender quality as well.

So, my leftover tofu is neatly sliced, pressed, and is marinating in some chicken broth that I had in the fridge. Breadcrumb recipe to follow soon.

No comments: